Click me please....

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dimethicone. Good or bad?

Dimethicone, also known as polydimethysiloxane (PDMS) is a sylicone oil commonly found in hair products, and sometimes in skin products

molecular formula of dimethicone




Dimethicone in  Hair Products




If you were to take a quick look at the ingredients of your hair shampoo and hair conditioners, you are bound to notice the word "dimethicone".




In hair products, it is generally good to have dimethicone in it. So what does dimethicone do?

When we wash our hair, water enters our hair pores, making our hair healthy-looking and shiny.
But throughout the day, the moisture trapped in our hair pores will be lost to the surroundings, similar to the process of transpiration. As the day continues, our hair loses its shine and becomes more dull.




However, if our hair products contain dimethicone, it forms a layer of coating on our hair strands, trapping the moisture in our hair and sealing it in. As dimethicone is somewhat waterproof, it acts as a barrier to prevent our hair from losing moisture to the surroundings.

Besides that, dimethicone also minimises friction in our hair, making our hair softer and smoother. With dimethicone, it would be easier to comb our hair, and our hair feels really smooth to the touch.




As usual, the rule of moderation also applies here, as too much of something is often not good for us.

When we use products loaded with too much of dimethicone, it makes our hair strands heavy. Our hair will then lose its vitality and will become flat.

This may be good news for those who desire extremely straight hair that stick to your head, but, if you would like your hair to have an airy and energetic look, avoid products that use too much dimethicone.

If avoiding them is too difficult, then use less of your conditioner, and remember not to apply it near the roots! Just apply them at the ends of your hair.








Dimethicone in Skin Products





Dimethicone may be good for you hair, but when it comes to you skin, it's a whole new story.

Many manufacturers add dimethicone to skin products (especially moisturizers and creams) to make the skin smoother to the touch.

Similar to our hair, when dimethicone-based products are applied on our skin, dimethicone will minimize the friction on the surface of our skin to the touch of our fingers.




However, dimethicone clogs up our pores and prevents them from 'breathing'. Once our pores are clogged, bacteria and dead skin cells will be trapped inside, which might result in acne and pimples.




There is absolutely no reason for dimethicone to be added to our skin products, except for the manufacturers to prove their stand that it does make your skin 'smoother'.

Dimethicone can be tolerated in products that target the skin in your body. However, if it about the skin on your face, avoid them at all costs.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's certainly a lot to learn about this issue. I like all the points you have made.

Feel free to surf to my page: kelly osbourne weight loss

Anonymous said...

Hi there to every , as I am really keen of reading this webpage's post to be updated on a regular basis. It consists of good information.

My page houses for sale

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find
most of your post's to be precisely what I'm looking
for. Do you offer guest writers to write content available for you?
I wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome web site!

Here is my web page :: children stories online

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you
knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest
twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

Take a look at my web blog :: appetite for destruction

Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!
! I definitely loved every little bit of it.
I have you book-marked to check out new stuff you post…

My site: fat burner

Anonymous said...

smokeless cigarettes, best electronic cigarettes, best e cigarette, e cigarette, electronic cigarette, e cigarette forum